Current:Home > ScamsPrince Harry, in U.K. court for phone hacking trial, blasts "utterly vile" actions of British tabloids -Capitatum
Prince Harry, in U.K. court for phone hacking trial, blasts "utterly vile" actions of British tabloids
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:33:05
London — Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, appeared in a U.K. court Tuesday to testify as part of his lawsuit against Britain's Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). The 38-year-old second son of Britain's King Charles III, who is suing the tabloid publisher over alleged unlawful information gathering, blasted the tabloid press.
"It was a downward spiral, whereby the tabloids would constantly try and coax me, a 'damaged' young man, into doing something stupid that would make a good story and sell lots of newspapers," Harry said in a lengthy written statement released Tuesday as he appeared in London's High Court. "Looking back on it now, such behavior on their part is utterly vile."
MGN's lawyer, Andrew Green, questioned Harry about the details of tabloid articles referenced in his suit and the prince's claims about how the information in them was gathered. He argued that some of the stories were already in the public domain.
At the end of Tuesday's proceedings, Harry was told his testimony would continue on Wednesday and instructed not to speak with anyone about it overnight.
"I genuinely feel that in every relationship that I've ever had — be that with friends, girlfriends, with family or with the army, there's always been a third party involved, namely the tabloid press," Harry's witness statement said.
"I felt that I couldn't trust anybody, which was an awful feeling for me especially at such a young age. As I am uncovering the extent of the unlawful activities carried out by MGN's journalist and senior executives towards me, I feel somewhat relieved to know that my paranoia towards my friends and family had, in fact, been misplaced, although feel sad for how much it impacted my adolescence," Harry said.
Why is Prince Harry in court?
The suit, involving test cases from Harry and three other well-known British claimants, alleges that journalists working for MGN gathered information about the prince unlawfully, including by hacking into voicemails. It involves 207 newspaper articles published between 1991 and 2011 — 33 of which refer to Harry.
The claimants argue that senior executives, including Piers Morgan — who edited the Daily Mirror newspaper from 1995 to 2004 — knew of the illegal activities. Morgan has denied any knowledge of illegal activities.
MGN has previously admitted that phone hacking took place at its tabloids, but its lawyer denies that 28 of the 33 articles involving Harry used unlawfully-gathered information. He said the group had "not admitted" that the other five articles involved unlawful information gathering, according to the BBC.
In his witness statement, Harry said, "the tabloids have known the challenges and mental health struggles that I have had to deal with throughout my childhood and adult life and for them to then play on that and use it to their own advantage, I think is, well, criminal."
Harry is the first senior member of Britain's royal family to appear in a court to give testimony and face cross-examination since the 19th century.
The prince had been instructed to attend the first day of court proceedings on Monday, in case he was needed, but he was not there. The Associated Press quoted Harry's lawyer on Monday as telling the court that the prince had flown out Sunday from Los Angeles, where he lives with his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, and their children, after celebrating his daughter's birthday.
The judge, Justice Timothy Fancourt, told the court on Monday that he was "a little surprised" by Harry's absence on the first day.
MGN's lawyer, Green, said Monday that he was "deeply troubled" by the prince's non-appearance.
"They're the mothership of online trolling. Trolls react and mobilise to stories they create," Harry said, of the media. "How much more blood will stain their typing fingers before someone can put a stop to this madness."
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Lawsuit
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
- United Kingdom
- London
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (9744)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Former NFL coach Jon Gruden lands advisory role with football team in Italy
- Michael Strahan Surprises Daughter Isabella With Visit From Her Favorite Celebrity Amid Cancer Battle
- March Madness bubble winners and losers: Villanova keeps NCAA Tournament hopes alive. Barely.
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Last suspect sought in deadly bus shooting in Philadelphia, police say
- Appeals court overturns convictions of former Georgia officer who fatally shot naked man
- Olivia Munn reveals breast cancer diagnosis, underwent double mastectomy
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- '1 in 400 million': Rare cow with two heads, four eyes born at a farm in Louisiana
Ranking
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Why do women go through menopause? Scientists find fascinating clues in a study of whales.
- C.J. Gardner-Johnson apologizes to Eagles fans for 'obnoxious' comment following reunion
- Elijah Vue: What to know about the missing Wisconsin 3 year old last seen in February
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Texas man who used an iron lung for decades after contracting polio as a child dies at 78
- How to Deep Clean Every Part of Your Bed: Mattress, Sheets, Pillows & More
- NCAA tournament bubble watch: Where things stand as conference tournaments heat up
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Review: Full of biceps and bullets, 'Love Lies Bleeding' will be your sexy noir obsession
Meg Ryan Isn't Faking Her Love For Her Latest Red Carpet Look
The Masked Singer Unveils Chrisley Family Member During Week 2 Elimination
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Kate Middleton Photographer Shares Details Behind Car Outing With Prince William
Michigan woman’s handpicked numbers win $1M on Powerball. She found out on Facebook.
Is Messi playing tonight? Inter Miami vs. Nashville Champions Cup stream, live updates